Okay, so there’s more spinning stuff. I’ll return to the knitting soon, though. I promise.
I made my first three-ply! (oh, and just so I say it – none of these yarns have been finished, so I think they will bloom out a bit more when that happens.)
In the back there is a leeetle skein (about 8 yards) of two-ply from after the first bobbin ran out, with the very last of the singles andean plied. I *adore* the three ply. Plying is so much fun! Figuring out how much to spin on each bobbin, not so fun. It certainly would have helped had I divided my roving into three pieces beforehand, but eh.
I learned, and have split up my merino/silk into equal pieces – but this is only for 2-ply, so it’s not as fussy. It sure is pretty!
I did only about 60 yards, around worsted knitting weight, but mostly I was testing out the limits of my bobbins. This was only a tiny amount – I think I can do twice as much. But I’m kind of cautious, because I don’t want to have to break for a new bobbin like 10 yards from the end of a skein! And I can’t afford the plying head right now, so that’s that.
To tell you the truth, I can’t afford much of anything right now – I think that Elann purchase of organic cotton last week really took away from my fiber money. But I’ve got 8 oz of the garnet merino/silk, and 8 oz of light blue, so that should hold me for a little while.
Anyway, I also spun up some Fleece Artist merino! (Too bad it comes in such a small put-up – only 50 grams, 1.75 oz!) I had initially wanted to ply it on itself, but then I realized…there’s just not much fiber there.
It’s plied with black sewing thread, and is about 70 yards of thick and thin. I think it’s cool, and it’s super soft – but I don’t really know what to do with it. I want to send it to a good home –
so first one to express interest gets it! Gone to Megan H.!