So – a while ago Denny gave me the plying head from her old Lendrum (which she doesn’t have anymore). I went and ordered a jumbo bobbin from Gemini Fibres, along with a regular size bobbin (it’s walnut rather than maple, because that’s what they had). Check it out – regular on the left, jumbo on the right.
That jumbo bobbin’s pretty big! But…
Dang. See all that space at the bottom? That’s not supposed to be there – the bobbin should be flush between the two ends! I know this part is from the old Lendrum, but how big was that jumbo bobbin??!
After some internal deliberation (goddammit, now I’m going to have to buy the head anyway; I’ll need to order a large drive band to make this work; this head is too damn big for the wheel) I actually put the head on the wheel, and treadled for a bit. I think I can make it work – I just need to put something there to fill up that space. That said, if anyone has a ginormous lendrum bobbin sitting around that they don’t need…I wouldn’t mind buying it off you!
The body of VBC (that’s Vintage Blue Cardigan) is nearly ready to go – just need to do a ribbed band on the left front, then sewing up and the neckband. Pretty! I’ve only used eight balls of Rowan Wool Cotton so far; I’m going to have to go into a ninth ball for the band and collar, but still – safe completion within my ten-ball limit.