You know what the problem is with having so many projects on the go? It’s really easy to not finish anything. But I’m determined to get some of the sweaters I’ve got going done soon…so I cast on for some new ones! That sounds like a good rule, no new sweaters until I finish the old ones.
The top-down raglan’s coming along nicely, I’m just below the underarm split.
The ends, however…I wonder if I’d be able to bribe Denny into weaving them in for me with the promise of homemade white chocolate peanut butter cups?
All this sweater knitting stuff will have to be wrapped up really soon, because I’ve got oodles of secret knitting to do. No wonder I hardly have anything to blog about these days (except food).
That’s lots of Socks The Rock, in lightweight and heavyweight.
So, speaking of which – how about a new recipe? The one’s a dessert. Mmm.
Lemon-Almond Cake with Lemon Blueberry Sauce
Yummy! This cake is very simple to make, and is gluten and dairy free. I couldn’t quite get the almonds as fine as I would’ve maybe liked, but the texture was pretty good anyway. Next time I’d maybe use a cup of pre-ground almond meal. I jacked up a recipe I found online, and made it mightily more lemony. The sauce is pretty tart, so the whole thing is a lemon extravaganza!
1 1/3 cups almonds (I used roasted whole)
8 T white sugar, divided
zest of 2 lemons
juice of 1 lemon
1/2 t cinnamon
pinch of salt
4 eggs, separated
1. Preheat the oven to 375 F and grease a 9″ cake pan. I used a Pyrex dish. And butter, which obviously negates the dairy-free-ness of this recipe! Spray would be totally fine.
2. Finely grind the almonds with 2 T sugar in the food processor.
3. Mix the yolks, 2 T sugar, cinnamon, salt, lemon zest and juice in a large bowl. Add the almond mixture and stir.
4. Whip egg whites to soft peaks, then slowly incorporate 4 T sugar. Whip until hard peaks form.
5. Stir half the egg whites into the almond mixture to lighten it, then gently fold in the other half of the whites until just combined.
6. Pour into baking dish and bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Lemon Blueberry Sauce
1/2 pint blueberries
1/3 cup lemon juice
1/3 cup sugar
Put everything in a small saucepan and simmer until thick. Once it’s refrigerated, the texture becomes thicker like a jam, but I just reheat it to have with the cake!